||4th Grade English Language Arts & Reading (ELA)
Students use a flexible range of meta cognitive reading skills in both assigned and independent reading to understand an author’s message. Students will continue to apply earlier standards with greater depth in increasingly more complex texts as they become self-directed, critical readers.
The student is expected to:
- establish purposes for reading selected texts based upon own or others’ desired outcome to enhance comprehension
- ask literal, interpretive, and evaluative questions of text
- monitor and adjust comprehension (e.g., using background knowledge, creating sensory images, rereading a portion aloud, generating questions)
- make inferences about text and use textual evidence to support understanding
- summarize information in text, maintaining meaning and logical order
- make connections (e.g., thematic links, author analysis) between literary and informational texts with similar ideas and provide textual evidence
19 TAC, Title 19, Part II
Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for English Language Arts and Reading
Chapter §110.15 (4th)
Subchapter A. Elementary
To view 4th Grade ELA Curriculum, click here.